2020 was an eventful year and, for most people, not much fun. If you've made it to 2021 then congratulations. I think 2021 is also going to be challenging, but perhaps you can see some light at the end of the tunnel. I hope so.
Selected highlights of 2020
- My family managed to survive.
- I managed to work enough to pay the bills.
- I sorted out my home lab. This was a lot of work and I might write a bit more about some of it later. Here's a recent photograph.
- I upgraded this site and removed the annoying popups (as promised).
- If you have a Ghost blog running on an old version, start here
- if you're new to Ghost, why not install it with my one-liner bash script?
Goals for 2021
- Be alive in 2022. This is my new main goal for year n; I want my family all to be alive in the year n+1. Logically this must fail at some point. Not any time soon, I hope.
- Look after my health a bit more (including lifting weights with my family, which I'm going to do today).
- Take more photographs.
- Write more.
- Try doing a few big things as small projects with very limited timeframes (you know Parkinson's Law - work expands to fill the time available for it).
- Over the years I've had some great success with this sort of thing. e.g. if you only have three days to complete a project which you know should take a month, that can lead to some amazing ideas. This doesn't work if you're not in charge, of course, so make sure to try it on some personal projects first if you can. Make it fun.
And that's it. I could write more, but my son wants me to play Street Fighter II with him right now, so I should probably do that.
Have a happy, healthy and prosperous 2021. Good luck.
Photo by Jude Beck on Unsplash